(Originally published Monday, June 25, 2007–on the Kuma Blog. )
Five Questions from Jolie du Pre, editor of Iridescence, for Tawanna Sullivan, author of The Getaway.
1. Why do you write erotica?
While revising submission guidelines for my webzine (Kuma2.net), I thought about the themes and scenarios I wanted to see more of. It hit me–why not try writing the stories that I wanted to read?
2. What do you like best about lesbian erotica?
Well, I get bombarded with images of hetero sex (real or implied) nearly 24/7, so lesbian erotica is refreshing to me. Characters that I can usually relate to are at the center of the action.
3. What is the theme of your story The Getaway in Iridescence: Sensuous Shades of Lesbian Erotica?
In The Getaway, Sarah and Nicole try to redeem an incredibly bad day by taking an improptu trip. I suppose the theme would be sticking together.
4. Name some other books where we can find your work.
Published stories include The Souvenir in Hot + Bothered 4 and Homecoming in Longing, Love, and Lust: Black Lesbian Stories. I also have Sufficient As I Am, a nonfiction essay, in Spirited: Affirming the Soul and Black Gay/Lesbian Identity.
5. Just for fun! Gym Shoes or Stilettos?
Given that choice–gym shoes all the way. I’m really more the steel toe, oil-resistant workboot type.